Buy It or Customize It
Evaluating your company’s current software and the advantages of using custom software/applications
Off-the-shelf or tailor-made? The choice seems easy when it comes to clothes—Why would I wear something that just fits when I could wear something custom made for me?—but what about in terms of business software?
Originally, software allowed businesses to transition from manual to digital. Now in the digital age, most businesses couldn’t function without their applications. The business world uses a lot of software, but how many of those applications interact with one another? And when is it time to ditch the off-the-shelf software in favor of tailor-made software?
At amshot, we like to say we use technology as a tool to improve business results. Our software development services specifically focus on achieving efficiencies that promote profitability and business growth. Is custom software the right choice for your business? Read on below.
Efficient business is good business. Software applications have streamlined many aspects of business and numerous options are available to be purchased off-the-shelf, but these generic versions of software aren’t a cure-all. In fact, they are often limited in their functions and rarely interact with other applications. This is where custom software comes in handy—it can bridge the gap between two applications or between what your software does and what you need it to do.
Custom software can help your business in many ways, but our team has determined that these are the biggest advantages of tailor-made applications:
- Most efficient system possible: Custom software provides functions specific to the business that generic software simply isn’t capable of doing. Instead of using several off-the-shelf applications, custom software can do it all more efficiently.
- Custom software grows with your business: Often times, generic software cannot keep up with a growing business because it isn’t flexible or scalable. Custom software is made to fit your business and is constantly maintained and adjusted as needed. Furthermore, businesses with multiple locations can be interconnected with software that communicates and shares data instead of stuck jumping through hoops with off-the-shelf products.
- Say goodbye to repetitive tasks and manual entry: Humans aren’t perfect, and it may only take one typo to bring payroll to a screeching halt. Utilizing custom software allows applications to be created that replace monotonous tasks and are specific to the business, industry, and/or functions needed.
- Up-to-date and secure: Outdated software might seem harmless, but it can actually leave your systems vulnerable to hackers. Custom software is ever-evolving and minimizes cybersecurity threats.
While there are many advantages to utilizing software tailor-made to your business, it’s not always the right choice. Several factors can determine whether or not a company would benefit from custom software, so we have outlined how to evaluate your current software to see if customization would be a good fit for your business.
- What does your company do, and how is it accomplished? There’s no need to reinvent the wheel if off-the-shelf software fits your business needs. For example, restaurants don’t need a complex custom application, but companies in the oil & gas industry might. Consider how many steps or applications are involved in daily tasks, how long it takes to finish them, and if there are any holes that off-the-shelf software can’t fill.
- What size is your business? How many employees do you have? How much do you currently spend on software? Does your company operate locally or internationally? Is your business growing? These are all important questions to consider when deciding if custom software is right for you. Smaller businesses might not have the budget or need for custom applications, but if it’s in the cards for your business, they can seriously improve profitability.
- Who will be using the software? Ask employees about your current software’s performance. Ask them if it makes jobs more efficient. Ask them how easy it is to use. The answers to these questions can help identify what your business is lacking and possible options for new or custom software.
- What are your competitors using? If all of your top competitors are utilizing custom software and are out-performing your business, then it might be time to leave the generic software behind. However, if custom software wouldn’t improve the quality of your service or profitability, then it’s probably best to stick with off-the-shelf.
Already using custom software, but need support + maintenance?
Your program doesn’t have to be amshot-built to be amshot-supported. Our development team has experience providing support and maintenance for existing applications.
Our software development services specialize in identifying opportunities for efficiencies and creating applications specific to your business needs. We can modify applications your business already uses, build your dream program from scratch, or keep your existing solution up and running. If you still aren’t sure which option is right for you, our software development team would love to schedule a free consultation and give you our professional opinion.