The innovations & updates to expect from the world of technology in 2019
While we made predictions about the latest electronics in preparation for CES 2019, our team started discussing the most important technology trends to expect in 2019.
In the last few years, innovation happened often and at a fast pace. In 2019, we anticipate an equally impactful year in the world of tech.
As a custom software and IT company, amshot is always looking to stay up-to-date on the latest and greatest technology. So, we have picked out a few tech trends that we predict will take center stage in the year to come.
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (AI) & MACHINE LEARNING
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and computer automation are constantly becoming more deeply ingrained in day-to-day business operations.
Machine learning is saving hours of human time spent programming information as computer systems are taught to interpret data and make decisions based on past successes and failures in a process quite similar to human learning.
In recent years, machine learning has been able to mimic the human brain through artificial neural networks which can be woven together in complex layers. This allows for “deep learning” to occur, meaning that computers can process information and self-improve far more quickly and efficiently.
This year, AI will become more tightly interwoven into our daily lives as the capabilities of AI assistants become increasingly more sophisticated, efficient, and accessible.
MULTI-CLOUD & HYBRID CLOUD
Cloud services have come a long way since they first debuted about a decade ago. Used by both individuals and a wide range of organizations, cloud technologies are used for storing data, hostings websites and blogs, downloading software, audio and video streaming, and more.
For a crash course on cloud technology, read our blog, but here’s what you can expect from the cloud this year.
Multi-cloud strategy is the use of multiple cloud computing services from any number of vendors. A multi-cloud environment could be all-private, all-public, or a hybrid. A hybrid cloud combines elements of both private and public clouds.
The tech community expects hybrid clouds to become the model of choice for businesses in 2019.
While a public cloud is available to the general public, a private cloud can exist either on the internet or on a private internal network and is only available to select users. Hybrid cloud computing service allows files to transfer between private and public clouds.
Plus, hybrid cloud services also include a feature known as “cloud bursting”. An application or resource can run within the private cloud and “burst” into the public cloud when there is a spike in demand.
In 2019, we expect the use of blockchain to grow in behind-the-scenes development and in publicized applications. IBM has already developed its own blockchain platform that lets developers build decentralized apps.
Also, there is a lot of chatter about gaming platforms set to release within the next year that will reward players in cryptocurrency and allow them to use those crypto tokens to purchase new games and merchandise.
The popularity of Bitcoin (blockchain’s most forward-facing application) first brought attention to the technology that was developed as a ledger for the cryptocurrency. The transaction information could be distributed, but not copied.
While blockchain was a super hot topic in 2018, some members of the tech community became skeptical of the technology when Bitcoin prices fell.
However, there is still a huge amount of potential value to discover for a distributed ledger that’s protected by encryption and provides an indelible record of transactional activity.
INTERNET OF THINGS (IoT)
As “smart” products grow in popularity, we find ourselves in an increasingly connected environment with millions of devices. 2019 will likely see a rapid increase in IoT platforms, with vendors narrowing focus onto specific use cases.
Quick recap: the Internet of Things (IoT) is the concept of connecting any and all devices to the internet so that they can communicate with each other.
In our previous blog about the IoT, we looked at how the expansion of these connected devices also presents a new cybersecurity threat.
In 2018, cyber attacks targeted home devices such as burglar alarms, security cameras, and door locks. In 2019, as traffic lights and public transportation systems join the IoT, we expect cybercrime to target smart city implementations.
Plus, there will likely be an increase in the practice of bundling service offerings by businesses as well as the emergence of a market for IoT managed services.
WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY (5G & BEYOND)
2019 will see the launch of 5G, which will be very different from previous generations of wireless technology.
The applications for 5G are broader than prior generations as it includes several wireless technologies such as sub-6GHz, mmWave, and NB-IoT. Cell towers equipped with 5G will have a much greater capacity, allowing more devices to communicate at a given time.
Due to its greater number of connectivity options, higher bandwidth, lower latency, and other improvements, 5G will provide newer and better ways to connect as well as new applications. It will make way for improvements in hybrid cloud technology and allow for greater developments in the IoT.
APPLICATION ARCHITECTURE IS CHANGING
From increased network speed and reliability to the development of cloud technologies that have revolutionized the way we store data, the last few years have seen dramatic innovations in the world of technology.
As our technologies continue to grow and evolve, the architectural designs of our applications must change to meet new demands.
Based on our research, there are four main principles that architectures must meet to stay relevant in modern technology:
1. Direct focus toward increasing the speed at which data is delivered to applications.
To avoid slowing down the system, the architecture must be memory- and network-centric to keep the data closest to where the computing is occurring.
2. There will likely be a rise in computing architectures offering workload isolation.
This allows different types of workloads to run on the same deployment and the same set of servers without competition. Plus, it keeps applications operating at optimal levels and makes it easy for developers to independently scale parts of the system.
3. Data should be available at the point of interaction.
Not all data can be on the device and must be properly protected, but for the most part, data needs to be on the device as much as possible. The next generation of applications requires dynamic flexibility, and the key to that is data on the edge.
4. We need deployment-unaware computing architectures to take full advantage of the flexibility offered by the cloud.
Deployment-unaware means that applications can run in any environment (cloud, multi-cloud, on premise, bare metal, and virtualized containers), removing the limitations traditional databases experienced on the cloud due to vertical scaling.
Why your business should be using Microsoft SharePoint
Communication amongst coworkers shouldn’t require a trip down the hall. Teamwork shouldn’t mean mile-long email threads. And project management shouldn’t involve searching through files for the latest version. If these are issues you’re facing at work, you need Microsoft SharePoint.
Here at amshot, we understand that collaboration is a major key to business success. Microsoft SharePoint offers document sharing and project management tools that streamline communication. But, that’s just scratching the surface. Keep reading to learn more about SharePoint and what it can do for your business.
What is Microsoft SharePoint?
If you searched for Microsoft SharePoint on Google, you’d find a few different definitions and a lot of technical jargon. But, we hate sounding like robots.
In plain English, Microsoft SharePoint is a collaborative server environment that enables document and data sharing within a company. Typically, SharePoint is set up as a series of intranet sites. Each site corresponds to a different department within the company.
Now, onto the specifics. SharePoint can be broken down into three primary components. Each one contributes unique functions and builds upon the previous element:
1. Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) provides basic functionality. This includes user access to versioning, email alerts, and shared calendars.
2. Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) builds upon the WSS foundation to produce SharePoint’s interactive functionality. Allowing users to employ a wide range of applications to use in different business scenarios. This includes (but is not limited to) Collaboration, Documents Management, Records Management, Workflow, and Personalization.
3. Microsoft Search Server is an Enterprise Search engine that offers in-depth indexing and searching capabilities within your intranet site. This can be integrated into a MOSS Web-based interface.
Get Better Business Results
SharePoint provides many advantages when it comes to optimizing your operations. As a provider of customized SharePoint sites, we make it our business to stay up-to-date on the latest trends. Here are some of our favorite features and how they can benefit your business:
VERSIONING SAVES YOU TIME & MONEY
Never waste time searching for the latest version when you could be working. SharePoint automatically keeps a version history of all documents and data in the system. Have you ever accidentally deleted part of a project? With SharePoint, you’ll stay stress-free because you can revert projects to an earlier draft at any time.
EASY TO USE
Role-based access keeps your team on task. User permissions allow you to decide who sees what and can be edited at any point. With 7+ compliance standards met out-of-the-box, SharePoint makes it easy to get your intranet started. Plus, designated users can have access to modify the site and further encrypt sensitive data.
Not only is SharePoint user-friendly, but it also boasts a financially-backed 99.9% SLA (Service Level Agreement). This means users are guaranteed reliability and quick uptime from their intranets. Also, Microsoft takes several security measures to ensure user data protection, which includes: data encryption, regular backups, customer-selected regional data location, identity protection, not disclosing data center locations, and signing the Data Protection Agreement.
Keep your teams informed on the latest project developments. SharePoint lets business leaders manage alerts for their employees. And with the right user permissions, end-users can handle their own. Set alerts for calendar events, new uploads, document/data modification, and more.
FLEXIBLE SOFTWARE FOR OPTIMAL WORK
SharePoint intranet sites are totally customizable. From functionality to design, construct everything to fit your needs. The platform is also scalable and easily grows with your company. Plus, Office 365 and SharePoint Online supports access to your intranet from any device.
Customizing with Care
At amshot, our team has extensive experience in creating and deploying SharePoint intranet sites. Even more, our software development team can customize it to suit your needs. We will build it to your specifications, down to fonts, colors, photos, permissions, and the widgets that are included on the site.
Microsoft SharePoint is a great tool to manage your company’s workflow and streamline collaboration. It can increase productivity and eliminate clutter in project management. To figure out if SharePoint is the right solution for your business, Find Your FIT.
amshot is redefining the expectations for outsourced IT services & software development
When most people think of outsourced IT, they think of long email chains asking for a simple fix, scouring Google just to understand what’s going on, and cheesy on-hold music that you practically memorize.
That can be a reality when working with traditional IT service providers, but not with amshot.
We hold ourselves to a higher standard and strive to be pioneers in a new era of innovative software development and frustration-free IT. Our team loves to have fun, empower our community, think outside the box, communicate effectively, and work honestly every day.
To show that these are not just empty words, we’ve broken down the key elements we use to define amshot’s IT and software development services.
Outsourcing your technology needs is supposed to make it easier. More time to focus on what you do best. Less time spent stressing about infrastructure issues. But, often times we hear that it has the opposite effect.
Traditionally, outsourced IT and software development was meant to create efficiencies and promote in-house productivity. More and more, services meant to optimize business are confusing and time-consuming.
Today, break-fix IT is the standard, and that’s only reactive. Plus, many tech companies are using systems and solutions that are more cookie-cutter than customized.
However, everything we’ve described created the foundation for what NOT to do at amshot.
Your Business is Worth IT
At amshot, we are invested in the growth and success of our clients, our community, and our team. Furthermore, we are dedicated to customizing and enhancing each client’s business experience.
Technology is our tool to accomplish these initiatives and achieve the amshot standard of services. We believe IT and software development should do the following:
Simplify your business, don’t complicate it.
Imagine your job if all of the technology worked as it should. We specialize in taking care of all things tech so you can focus on the next goal.
Help your business grow, not slow you down.
Our team uses cutting-edge technology, the client’s industry best-practices, creative problem solving, and effective communication to visibly improve measurable business results with custom solutions.
Proactive tech solutions > reactive tech services
Properly functioning IT and software can prevent fires before they start, and being proactive instead of reactive is our specialty. Simply put, proactive IT anticipates and actively avoids issues—fighting the vicious cycle of break-fix IT.
Make it easier to do the right thing and harder to do the wrong thing.
We firmly believe that outsourcing your technology needs should improve productivity in-house. No more confusing tech talk. No overly complicated systems. Our team strives for user-friendly and reliable services.
Provide business insights with reporting, various metrics, and thorough analytics.
As we mentioned earlier, our team is invested in each client’s success, so providing comprehensive reporting is a key element of our services. The metrics and analytics delivered offer an overview of the current systems as well as any opportunity our team identifies for your business tech to be optimized.
That, in a nutshell, is what we think outsourced IT and software development should be. If you would like to hear more about amshot’s office culture and our fresh take on tech services, contact us or Find Your FIT.
Forget the filing cabinets and invest in the benefits and innovations in legal technology
Technology is changing the culture of the legal system. Before a reliable alternative was available, lawyers were toting around bags filled with hundreds of sheets of paper— but with the customizable software and accessible technology available today, it is time for the legal industry to upgrade their technology.
As masters of IT and software development, we like to understand all things tech, and our clients in the legal industry have allowed us to gain valuable insight about attorney’s technology needs. We know that protecting your documents, communicating via secure channels, and tracking billables in an easy, manageable way are all important aspects of your profession. Let’s talk about how amshot can streamline your legal workflow.
Technology has increased productivity in the workplace, and that applies to law firms, courthouses, and cubicles too. In the recent past, legal technology has replaced the filing cabinets filled to the brim with paper and provided a way to simplify the life of a lawyer. Here are just a few more advantages to utilizing technology in the legal industry.
- Ditch the bulky briefcase. When you utilize digital case management software and data storage services, there is no need to dig through filing cabinets to find that one document you had in your hand the other day…
- In the business of billables. Keeping track of all the time and energy put into a case can be difficult on a spreadsheet. amshot specializes in custom software to save you time and keep your billables error-free.
- No eavesdropping. Speaking with your clients in secure channels is a crucial part of the legal industry. Upgrade your whispered asides to secure communication and document sharing 24/7.
- Discovery made simple. Leading up to a trial, lawyers handle tons of documents and read countless amounts of relevant information. Instead of sifting through stacks of paper, how about a custom-built database where everything is a simple search away?
- Minimize malpractice. Most legal malpractice claims are due to errors that could be solved by simply using technology. Digital docket management, data back-ups, document security, and software that handles all mathematical calculations are all easier than trying to follow a paper trail to prove due diligence.
- Free time. This is a concept that most lawyers are unfamiliar with, but the benefits are obvious. Instead of spending time doing tasks that legal tech could do in seconds, new-found time provides the ability to achieve efficiencies and promote professional development around the office.
SETTING A PRECEDENT
While the law might not change on a daily basis, technology does. At amshot, we are always up-to-date on the latest and greatest in legal technology to make sure our clients only operate with the best tech available. Some things come and go, but here are a few trends we will be watching this year.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): AI will have the ability to assist with things such as contextual analysis, predicting legal outcomes, proactive analysis of data that will lead to litigation prevention, and contract/legal document analysis. Although AI could significantly help your law firm, it has been reported that around 66% of law firms do not use it. It is normal to have your guard up when it comes to new technological advances, but AI is looking very promising.
- Legal Project Management Software: With the rise of formal legal operations within corporations, legal processes need to be considered business processes. Legal project management software provides one place for all cases and teams. This software will give you the ability to talk to teammates, mark tasks and deadlines, and keep organized—losing the paper and pen method and saving a lot of time.
- Unified Platforms: In the past, the best-of-breed e-discovery approach was the popular system. However, this trend will start to vanish in the future. Unified platforms are more efficient, more productive, less costly, and less risky.
It’s time to hop on the technology train, lawyers. The benefits of a technology upgrade would impact your day-to-day routine as well as your bottom line. If your firm is interested to see what legal technology could do for your office, see what amshot can do to help by scheduling a free consultation.
What is a vCIO and why does your business need one?
As a company that started as a small business, we know how much work goes into running a successful start-up. Cultivating leads, handling business technology, hiring the right employees, executing client work, managing policies and benefits—it’s exhausting just thinking about it. With all the tasks a growing business is responsible for, you shouldn’t have to worry about how your daily technology needs will be handled.
A Virtual Chief Information Officer (vCIO) is an outsourced IT service that provides your company with the skills and capabilities of a Chief Information Officer (CIO) without the cost of staffing the position full-time. Keep reading to find out the perks of having a vCIO.
- TIME IS MONEY
Efficiency and productivity go hand-in-hand at the office. By utilizing a vCIO, you free up time and resources, previously dedicated to managing the company’s IT needs, which can be reallocated to promote various aspects of business development. Additionally, without having to micro-manage IT internally, your sanity gets a bit of a break as well.
- SECURITY GUARD
We have said it before and we’ll say it again: cybersecurity is not to be taken lightly. Every day, hackers are becoming bolder and smarter, so you should not leave your company’s security up to chance. Securing business data and information against cyber attacks is one of the vCIO’s most important roles in an organization. A vCIO works to keep all of your tech up-to-date along with creating security policies and implementing security patches.
- CUSTOM > BASIC
When it comes to reporting and recommendations, it is far more helpful if business analyses are tailored to your business instead of made with a widely-distributed template. With the various functionalities of business technology, it can be difficult to keep track of what is working and what isn’t while also trying to make sense of the mountains of data produced. A vCIO can provide customized reports of your current IT setup that showcase metrics and trends. Based on the reports and findings, the vCIO can also make recommendations for new software or technology to utilize at your business. The vCIO is an invaluable resource when considering new technology to invest in for your company.
- SHOW ME THE MONEY
While hiring a full-time CIO does free up time dedicated to your company’s IT needs, it would also come with a hefty price tag. The average salary for a CIO in the U.S. is more than $140,000 plus paid time off, insurance, and other benefits—not something a growing business can easily afford. Since a vCIO is an outsourced IT service, you will not have to pay an annual salary nor provide a benefits package. The increase in productivity is comparable when considering a CIO versus a vCIO, but the financial savings of utilizing a vCIO are huge.
The Bottom Line
Utilizing a vCIO can have a big impact on your company’s bottom line. Not only does this service allow you to focus on what you do best while we handle your IT needs, but it also implements a technology strategy that is proactive, not reactive. Too often we hear about huge IT issues and data breaches that stall productivity in an office. Luckily, we specialize in stress-free IT. amshot conducts regular maintenance to prevent issues and keep your business running smoothly instead of scrambling to fix problems as they arise.
If you want to find out if a vCIO is right for your company, set up a free consultation with amshot.
amshot’s favorite local eateries, from breakfast to breweries
Typically, we do a lot of tech-talk around the office, but there is more to amshot than IT and software. As a local business, we are big supporters of the Keep It Local vibe in OKC and we like to get involved around the city as much as possible.
In fact, one of our favorite ways to empower our community comes around mealtimes.
We like to consider ourselves foodies, and we have tried more restaurants around the city than we are proud of, so our office took a poll on our favorite local spots. It was not easy to narrow the list down, but the winners are listed below.
Rise & Shine.
We might not all be morning people, but we are all big fans of breakfast at Sunnyside Diner.
Within walking distance from the office, the Thai Kitchen OKC never disappoints and we highly recommend it.
What’s for Dinner?
The Tokyo Japanese Restaurant is the tastiest way to get out of doing the dishes. It is perfect for date night or for a family dinner.
If you have not tried Pie Junkie yet, stop reading and go now! The pies are out-of-this-world and always welcome at amshot.
amshot After 5.
Our team is more than just work associates, so when quitting time comes around we often relocate to The Flea for drinks, games, and maybe even karaoke.
Good for What ALES You.
The brewery scene in OKC has exploded and made us craft-beer-drinkers very happy. However, this category was an easy pick for us. We are loyal to the Stonecloud Brewing Co.
Party of 10?
At amshot, we do a lot of team lunches, and it can be hard to find a place to accommodate our crew. For this category, we had a tie between a Bricktown favorite Fuzzy’s Taco Shop and the famous Cattlemen’s Steakhouse in Stockyard City.
While these are the winners of our office poll, we still had team members campaigning for their favorite joints and decided to make a separate section for the ones that narrowly missed the list. Here are a few more local spots that we recommend trying:
Our team is always looking to try new restaurants, so feel free to comment with your favorite local eateries!
The importance of Business Intelligence (BI) to companies of all sizes
We all want to know where our business is going, what we can expect for the future and, better yet, the margins of success we will see in the upcoming months. But in order to see the future, we need to know “the now” of said business. Business Intelligence (BI) provides us with that knowledge whether your business is small, medium, or large—BI is a one-size-fits-all tool.
At amshot, we focus strongly on being able to customize software to meet the individual needs of our clients—and that includes BI. Keep reading for a crash course in all things BI and why it’s worthwhile.
BREAK IT DOWN NOW
The formal definition of Business Intelligence refers to tools, technologies, applications and practices used to collect, integrate, analyze, and present an organization’s raw data in order to create insightful and actionable business information. Basically, Business Intelligence is a system for turning your business data into info that can help you make informed business decisions. BI allows us to pinpoint areas of weakness and strength in real time to gain further insights and tackle any opportunity to enhance business output.
That was a lot of loaded words, so think of it as an update. Updates to a cellphone let users see what Apple or Samsung or Google have been working on to make their experience better. Each upgrade has new benefits such as new gadgets, faster loading speeds, increased battery life, etc. All of those changes were made by looking and analyzing the current, ongoing issues within the software. Business Intelligence is like a non-stop, ongoing update to your business that leads to more overall success.
There are numerous benefits of using BI. As we mentioned, it provides real-time feedback that allows businesses to identify and achieve efficiencies in their organization, but that’s not all. Our team looked at the ways BI helps businesses, and here are just a few that stood out to us:
- More accuracy when reporting, analyzing and planning – No matter how much you do something, it won’t matter unless you are accurate on every account. BI allows you to organize data without the potential for manual error and make decisions in real time.
- Faster analysis, planning, and reporting – Efficiency plays a big role in business profitability. BI allows companies to make business decisions in a more timely matter, especially under pressure. It consolidates a lot of data and gives us a single perspective.
- Improved data quality – You know the saying “quality over quantity”? With BI, businesses have access to both. It gathers the entire quantity of big data and transforms that into accessible figures in a high quality way.
- Increased competitive advantage – It is important to understand that Business Intelligence is not the same as competitive intelligence. BI scans internal data within your business, which leads to a competitive advantage, while competitive intelligence looks at other people’s business. Knowing everything about your current state of business and tackling the issues that arise puts you ahead of competitors on its own, even if you don’t know the ins-and-outs of your competitors’ business.
- Reduced costs and increased revenues – Of course, this is the ultimate goal for any business. BI lets you determine who your customers are by collecting data at high speed, which allows businesses to know them inside and out. Understanding their consumer behavior can result in a faster point of sale in a more accurate way.
USE IT OR LOSE IT
The ability to focus on the current state of your business becomes increasingly easier when utilizing everything BI has to offer. Every company want to be aware of where they stand as an individual part of the larger market, and BI helps companies analyze their systems, employees, and functionality. While this type of technological support may be new to some industries, the opportunities for growth and profitability that BI provides should be considered by any business looking to upgrade.
No two businesses are alike—we know that. BI helps us make your business more successful by blending this cloud of big data with the individual needs our software can provide. BI is the overhead macho-man of business analytics that can help companies grow and succeed, and amshot can help implement it. Contact us for a free consultation.
Evaluating your company’s current software and the advantages of using custom software/applications
Off-the-shelf or tailor-made? The choice seems easy when it comes to clothes—Why would I wear something that just fits when I could wear something custom made for me?—but what about in terms of business software?
Originally, software allowed businesses to transition from manual to digital. Now in the digital age, most businesses couldn’t function without their applications. The business world uses a lot of software, but how many of those applications interact with one another? And when is it time to ditch the off-the-shelf software in favor of tailor-made software?
At amshot, we like to say we use technology as a tool to improve business results. Our software development services specifically focus on achieving efficiencies that promote profitability and business growth. Is custom software the right choice for your business? Read on below.
Efficient business is good business. Software applications have streamlined many aspects of business and numerous options are available to be purchased off-the-shelf, but these generic versions of software aren’t a cure-all. In fact, they are often limited in their functions and rarely interact with other applications. This is where custom software comes in handy—it can bridge the gap between two applications or between what your software does and what you need it to do.
Custom software can help your business in many ways, but our team has determined that these are the biggest advantages of tailor-made applications:
- Most efficient system possible: Custom software provides functions specific to the business that generic software simply isn’t capable of doing. Instead of using several off-the-shelf applications, custom software can do it all more efficiently.
- Custom software grows with your business: Often times, generic software cannot keep up with a growing business because it isn’t flexible or scalable. Custom software is made to fit your business and is constantly maintained and adjusted as needed. Furthermore, businesses with multiple locations can be interconnected with software that communicates and shares data instead of stuck jumping through hoops with off-the-shelf products.
- Say goodbye to repetitive tasks and manual entry: Humans aren’t perfect, and it may only take one typo to bring payroll to a screeching halt. Utilizing custom software allows applications to be created that replace monotonous tasks and are specific to the business, industry, and/or functions needed.
- Up-to-date and secure: Outdated software might seem harmless, but it can actually leave your systems vulnerable to hackers. Custom software is ever-evolving and minimizes cybersecurity threats.
While there are many advantages to utilizing software tailor-made to your business, it’s not always the right choice. Several factors can determine whether or not a company would benefit from custom software, so we have outlined how to evaluate your current software to see if customization would be a good fit for your business.
- What does your company do, and how is it accomplished? There’s no need to reinvent the wheel if off-the-shelf software fits your business needs. For example, restaurants typically don’t need a complex custom application, but companies in the oil & gas industry often do. Consider how many steps or applications are involved in daily tasks, how long it takes to finish them, and if there are any holes that off-the-shelf software can’t fill.
- What size is your business? How many employees do you have? How much do you currently spend on software? Does your company operate locally or internationally? Is your business growing? These are all important questions to consider when deciding if custom software is right for you. Smaller businesses might not have the budget or need for custom applications, but if it’s in the cards for your business, they can seriously improve profitability.
- Who will be using the software? Ask employees about your current software’s performance. Ask them if it makes jobs more efficient. Ask them how easy it is to use. The answers to these questions can help identify what your business is lacking and possible options for new or custom software.
- What are your competitors using? If all of your top competitors are utilizing custom software and are out-performing your business, then it might be time to leave the generic software behind. However, if custom software wouldn’t improve the quality of your service or profitability, then it’s probably best to stick with off-the-shelf.
Already using custom software, but need support + maintenance?
Your program doesn’t have to be amshot-built to be amshot-supported. Our development team has experience providing support and maintenance for existing applications.
Our software development services specialize in identifying opportunities for efficiencies and creating applications specific to your business needs. We can modify applications your business already uses, build your dream program from scratch, or keep your existing solution up and running. If you still aren’t sure which option is right for you, our software development team would love to schedule a free consultation and give you our professional opinion.
IoT leaks top the list of cyber threats & why you should care
Technology is more accessible than ever and can control everything from your business transactions to the lighting in your home, but all of this interconnectivity comes with a risk.
Hackers are becoming bolder by the day, and they don’t discriminate who they are attacking based on the size, industry, or location. The only thing they care about is the Internet of Things (IoT)—a term that encompasses ALL devices and objects that are connected to the internet—and the plethora of digital intelligence it contains.
Protecting our clients from hackers is a top priority. In the past, we have blogged about the necessity of cybersecurity and some steps that can be taken to protect your business data, but today we’re breaking down the single largest threat to small- and medium-sized businesses.
We mentioned that the Internet of Things (IoT) refers to the billions of devices worldwide that are connected to the internet, but let’s explore the scope of this definition and what an IoT leak could mean for a business.
There is no limit to what could be considered a part of the IoT because ANY object that can be connected to the internet is considered an IoT device.
Here are a few examples of commonly used personal IoT devices: GPS, pacemakers, web cameras, Amazon’s Echo, and home security systems.
With wireless networks and cheap processors readily available, the digital and physical worlds continue to mesh. The IoT is already huge, and getting bigger, but why should you care?
SHARING IS NOT ALWAYS CARING
An IoT leak could be disastrous for any business. No matter the type of breach, the financial costs are high and reputation impacts are long-lasting to any business.
Since these devices, especially in businesses, are interconnected and share data amongst themselves, access to one would mean easy access to any affiliated devices. Furthermore, once inside an IoT device, hackers can easily install malware and take control of the entire system.
The best way to stay ahead of these cyber threats is to be aware of how they can occur and take steps to protect your business. Don’t worry, we will walk you through both.
WORLDWIDE WEB OF HACKERS
The internet has provided us with live updates, real-time data collection, immediate international communication, instant access to a multitude of information, and hackers.
Many small- to medium-sized businesses have trouble seeing themselves as a target to these cyber criminals, thinking, what could they possibly want from me?—but that’s precisely what makes them easy targets.
While the Internet of Things was initially most appealing to business and manufacturing with its machine-to-machine (M2M) applications, nowadays, IoT devices are being used in almost every industry. However, these devices lack built-in security and can leave a digital backdoor open.
PASSWORD STRENGTH: ???
Hackers prey on IoT devices because they can locate them through automated programs and can usually gain access by using default admin credentials. To deter these types of cyber attacks, we recommend a few things.
- Change the password(s) on any new devices immediately after setup.
- Make sure all admin and user settings are updated and that no default credentials can be used.
- Finally, if you would like a second opinion on your cybersecurity, contact us to arrange a free consultation.
428 Dean A McGee Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73102